Saturday, July 16, 2011

Discovering Dignity

The hot summer breeze was flowing through the city. Relaxed looking people crowded the streets, only a few free places in the local bars and cafeterias outside left. I was on the road to the second rally this year Syrians in Bavaria living organized to show their support to their fellows in Syria and to condemn the regime's brutal crackdown. 

Short before I entered the area where it took place I saw the huge Syrian flags waving through the air. The organizers were still busy solving technical duties; speakers were built up, shirts handed out, banners arranged. I recognized one of the students from the last event, he gave me a warm welcome and handed me a bottle of water which I took grateful due to the heat of the day. I took a sip and looked around. 

All kind of characters were present: women traditionally as well as modern dressed, young men with sunglasses, older generations discussing while kids rollicking around them. It was a detail of normality which is taking place everywhere in this world. No signs of radicalism or sectarianism the Syrian regime's always declaiming. People like you and me. Kind, communicative and likable. The event started with chants and slogans while some of the organizers were pretty busy in the background fixing some technical problems with the loudspeaker system. 

From time to time passengers stopped and watched the happening, most of them might have seen for the first time the presence of so much Syrians in a city like Munich. The confusion in their look had mainly to do with the two different flags waving: the red-white-black banner with the two green stars and the green-white-black one with the three red stars. Both are flags of Syria, similar to the Libyans who have (yet) two banners (the monochrome green one Gaddafi invented will soon disappear forever). 

After half an hour the loudspeaker problems were fixed and the statements started. They invited me to join their circle and I listened carefully to the speeches in German, English and Arab. Even though my knowledge of the Arab language is still rudimentary, I understood well terms like freedom, peace, justice. It is a good omen first to learn the positive words of a language I thought myself. The speakers mentioned again and again the names of the Syrian cities, a sign of national solidarity and unity. As a tribute to the great poet Ibrahim Qashqush the crowd chanted his famous anti-regime song 'Yalla Irhal Ya Bashar' (Get immediately out Bashar). I'm certain this song will survive many generations from now on remembering the times 'when it all began'. 

Then the guest speaker, a lady of the Munich Refugee's Council entered the stage declaring in clear words her detestation for the inhumanity Bashar al-Assad and his ones are doing to the civil population followed by a poem for the victims demanding a better world. After a speech in English a young student performed another poem was recited by an artist in Arab. My neighbor was so kind and translated me simultaneously the meaning of his words: accusing the regime for the crimes committed and appealing on the reason of the party responsible. Strong and empathic. I'm still getting goosebumps thinking of it. 

Doughnuts were reached and I felt not only invited and accepted but being a part of the community. While the chants started again I had a passionate discussion with the young student who spokes earlier about faith followed by another smalltalk with a student of the arts about the common development in the Arab countries. The rally event ended after three hours and we bid farewell to each other. Finally they handed me one of the Syrian flags as present which is now draped over the chair in my living room. 

Now I have a serious question to all those reading my post until here: are the people I described 'dangerous elements' or 'terrorists'? Is their behavior 'questionable'? Do they have 'dubious purposes? 

I say definitely not. But that is exactly the lie Assad's regime tries to sell the rest of the world to legitimate the terrible violence against everyone who doesn't follow blind the Baath Party. In the name of humanity we must resist those lies and stand by the side of the Syrian people who deserve the values our world has already implemented: peace and freedom.

No comments:

Post a Comment